Wednesday 12 January 2011

My Dad's birthday

Hello, and thank you for dropping by.

Today would have been my Dad's 85th birthday.
For those of you that don't know, my Dad died, 12 days after he was diagnosed with cancer, last July.
It came as a great shock, because we didn't even know that he was ill, although he had lost a fair bit of weight.
Yes, he was 84.........but he was my Dad, and I didn't think of him as being an old man.

Today, I visited his grave, and took roses (his favourite flowers), and two tubs of daffodils, not yet in flower......but they will be....when the sun shines.
The grave still looks raw.......his headstone should have been in place by now, but there has been a delay......my Mam is so upset.  She really wanted it there for his birthday.
I didn't want this post to be maudlin.......I just wanted to mark my Dad's birthday.
He was a proud Scotsman, and I would normally have been taking him a hand-made card with a Scottish poem or song written inside.
As it is, all I can do is say "Happy Birthday, Dad....I love you".

On to today's card....hope you like :)




Again, (Petra would be proud of me!) I used scraps from my HUGE pile, and even got around to using one of those metal frames (the heart) that we all seemed to buy, when we first started to papercraft, lol.
I embossed the red scrap of paper with the Swiss Dots Cuttlebug folder, which I love, and I really like the colour combo.....what d'you think?

I'd like to enter this card in these challenges:

Cutie Patootie

Using it Up
                                                                           aspoonfullofsugarchallenge.blogspot.com

Challenge #134  Thank You card

scrappyfrogschallenge.blogspot.com

Use a Sentiment

fabnfunkychallenges.blogspot.com

Challenge #55  Let's get warm and toasty

craftysentiments.blogspot.com

Thank You card

Hugs,
Anne-Marie x

8 comments:

  1. Anne-Marie, so sorry to hear about your dad and how quickly he passed. But a what a lovely way to commemorate him with the flowers.
    I love your card! you certainly are on a roll with those scraps :) so happy that I have inspired you to dig into them!
    Love the stitching around the brown cardstock too, gives the card such a lovely feel to it. And I think you coloured that image beautifully. I too have some frames in my stash, think I will use your use of the ehart as inspiration for my next project :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about you dad! Loss is hard enough, but to have it happen so suddenly... :( I am sure he knows he is in your thoughts! Your card is delightful! Such a cute image and the coloring is wonderful! I too have a stash of those metal edge tags! Lol Looks like I need to raid my stash to make some cards as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet! Thanks for playing along with SSD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card,thankyou for joining us at fab'n'funky
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. My condolences for you loss. Your card is lovely. Great colour combo.

    Thanks for joining us at PCJ challenges this time and we hope to see you again soon!

    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute card! Love the little tag and sweet image :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to read about you losing your Dad. Hugs to you.

    Love your card, Thanks so much for playing along with Paperplay this week. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about your dad it must of been a real shock but he did not have to suffer for long and that should bring you some comfort.
    Cute card, lovely image and great use of scraps. Thanks for joining us this week over at Crafty Sentiments Designs.
    Kim xXx

    ReplyDelete