Monday 1 October 2012

It's a Boy!

Hello, and welcome!

Yes, it's a boy!!  I gave birth to a baby boy........okay......it was 33 years ago....hahaaa!.....but, I bet that got your attention!
Yep, 33 years ago our first son (3rd child) was born in St. Mary's Hospital,  Manchester, weighing in dead on 10 pounds, (he wasn't my heaviest!) and I fell head over heels in love with him.
We named him.....wait for it.........
Mark Kenneth William Francis Michael Laurence Lewis
Yes, indeedy.......and the only one I got to choose was Mark....hahaaaa!

There has to be a story behind these choices, right?  
My Hubster (Ken) was the last male to be born to the Lewis family and he was then 30 years old.  His only sibling had 3 daughters, and no more children were planned for that family.
Ken and I had 2 little girls.....and Ken really wanted a son.  His dad also really wanted a grandson........and I really wanted a third child.  
This was years before it was possible to find out what gender the baby was, so we waited.
In the meantime, I made it clear that if this was a boy, I wanted to name him Mark....I love that name!
The Hubster readily agreed.
Both our girls had middle names, so we wanted a middle name for our third child......and the Hubster wanted  his son to be named for him, so Mark Kenneth it was.

Shortly before Mark was born, Ken's dad died, very suddenly, aged just 60 years old.
We felt impelled to give his name to our future son, so we now had Mark Kenneth William.
I knew that my dad had been secretly disappointed when his only grandson had not been named for him.  My dad was Scottish, and there is a strong tradition of using family names through the generations.
So, we now had Mark Kenneth William Francis.

A year before Mark's birth, Ken and I had been baptised into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
One day, a few weeks before my due date, I read this scripture........

 Behold, my sons, I desire that ye should remember to keep the commandments of God; and I would that ye should declare unto the people these words. Behold, I have given unto you the names of our first aparents who came out of the land of Jerusalem; and this I have done that when you remember your names ye may remember them; and when ye remember them ye may remember their works; and when ye remember their works ye may know how that it is said, and also written, that they were bgood.
 Therefore, my sons, I would that ye should do that which is good, that it may be said of you, and also written, even as it has been said and written of them.
It really touched my heart!  We wanted Mark (if this baby was indeed a boy) to bear his forefathers names....they were good and righteous men, and this scripture validated those sentiments.
We were close to the two young missionaries who had introduced us to the Church......Michael and Laurence.....and Ken insisted on adding their names........oh, my poor child!  Hahaaaa......

My beautiful boy has lived up to his glorious names.........he is upright and good, and walks in faith......what more could we ask?

If you are still reading, then, thank you......and here's the card I made to celebrate my boy's birth........

A cream base and various bits 'n' bobs that I found on my scrap mountain....it was a loooong climb to the top.......

 I embossed the caramel coloured card with a Cuttlebug folder.....can't remember the name, but it's the one with the sprockets and gears......I tied some baker's twine around it, after mounting the embossed card onto brown card.........
The funky little sentiment digi was a freebie from Happileigh.....I coloured it with a mix of Promarkers and Spectrum Noir.......

Nearly forgot that I did some faux stitching around the blocks, lol.  I just love that ticket strip......it's from My Mind's Eye, and I punched out the stars on each one......cute!


And here are the punched out stars.....waste not, want not!
Easy-peasy card for a male......done!

Hugs,
Anne-Marie x


19 comments:

  1. Wow that is some baby naming....Your card for him is gorgeous,love the style and fab stars.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to your wonderful son Anne-Marie. Your card is wonderful.
    Thank you so much for sharing your story on how you choose his names, I enjoyed reading it!

    Hugs Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. hAPPY birthday to your son. Indeed a wonderful card. I love the embossing the punched tickets and the wrapped twine.

    Thanks for joining us at Kaboodle Doodles’ “Autumn Colors” Challenge!

    Kath
    Blog: Creo by Lady Katutz
    http://creobyladykatutz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic story and a wonderful card as well. I love your design and layers. Thanks for the terrific freebie sentiment as well! Glad you played along with us this month at Digi Haven. We look forward to seeing you again. ♥ Denise @ Digi Haven ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, congrats on that baby boy!! I love the story behind his very special name and the card is wonderful! Love how you used the punched out stars!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, to the both of you. Great card, I am sure your son will love it.

    Thank you for sharing your card with all of us at Crafty Boots Challenges.

    Dionne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this card!! the background paper looks like leather, way cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely card. Love the ticket stubs!
    Thanks for joining us at Kaboodle Doodles!
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a fab design for a boy's card! Love the color combo too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All the names are wonderful! Beautiful card too. Is there a link to where you found the sentiment. I didn't see it and like to snag the freebies. :) If it's there just tell me to look again. Ha, ha. Thanks for joining us for our October Anything Goes Digi Haven Challenge!
    ~sandy
    visit my blog @ sandy's crafty creations

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks to joining us at the Kaboodle Doodles.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that embossing folder! Thanks for playing along with us at Frosted Designs this week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fab card, great design, so much detail. Thanks for joining us at Digi Have and hope to see you back again soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday to your son. You made him a beautiful card. Thanks for playing along with us at Kaboodle Doodles this week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic card, for your Son, thank you for sharing your memories and talent, with us at Emmas Crafty Challenge, good luck xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love all of your special details ~ just perfect! Thanks so much for joining us for October Anything Goes challenge at DigiHaven.

    Peace & Luv,
    Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  17. I must admit after reading the first line I was expecting a baby card! LOL! I absolutely love your birthday card. I love the detail on the tags and the fabulous colors! Beautiful! Thank you for joining us at ABC's challenge. Good luck on winning a fabulous prize and I hope we see more of your lovely work in the future challenges!
    PS: ABC is having a DT call....I hope you will enter!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A beautiful card--love all the amazing embellishments! Thanks for joining us at Digi Haven--I hope you join in our Pumpkin challenge going on now, too! Happy {digi} stamping! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely card & great colours, thank you for joining in Emmas challenge x

    ReplyDelete