Monday 14 May 2012

Patriotic Birthday

Hello, and welcome!

Hope those of you who celebrated Mothers' Day, yesterday, were spoilt to the eyeballs!
It was a treat to visit lots of blogs and see all the gorgeous creations that have been made for mothers and grandmothers around the world.........and I'm sure there were lots of happy smiles around!

I've been doing a bit of surfing, to see what's new on the crafting scene, and the UK seems to be gettin' all fired up about all the patriotic celebrations that are happening, this summer.....yaaaaay!

There's a particular range that I really like called PORTOBELLO  ROAD and I got some of the papers with a magazine,  so just had to buy some of the stickers and buttons to go with 'em...haaaa!.....'twould have been rude not to, don't you think?

Here's a birthday card for a well-loved grandson, who is turning 9 at the end of the month......

The colours look a bit faded in the photo....sorry!
I layered the blue spotty paper onto a white card blank, and inked around the edges with dark brown chalk ink......all the elements are similarly inked......and laid a strip of the tan coloured paper across the middle........

Cute bunting, eh?  This was from the sticker sheet that I bought........

All boys love cars, right?  This little beauty is iconic in the UK, ....... I stuck a #9 on the bonnet and placed a Union Flag behind.......
I LOVE THE UNION FLAG, and think it is one of the nicest flags in the whole, wide world!!

The diddy stamp is a sticker from the same range......seriously cute!

Red gingham (from the paper pack) cut with a large circle punch, and inked.......love those sweet buttons!.....and the sentiment is also from the sticker pack, but I actually bought the stamp version....couldn't resist, lol......

So, what do you think?  Would love to know........

Just a quick word about my use of "Union Flag" instead of the more widely used/known "Union Jack".
One of my uncles was in the Royal Navy and always taught anybody who would listen that a "Jack" was flown from the "jack pole"......a pole that is in the bow of a ship.......and so when the Union Flag is flown in that position, it is known as the Union Jack.......on land, it is the Union Flag.....simple!
I just know that I am thrilled to see so many of my fellow Britons gettin' all patriotic because we have so much to be proud of, this summer........
We will celebrate the Diamond Jubilee (60 years on the throne!) of our wonderful Queen Elizabeth, on 4th June.....it's her "official" birthday, (and also my DIL's), and later, we'll be hosting the fabulous Olympics...........street parties, here we come!!

Hugs,
Anne-Marie x

Challenges:













14 comments:

  1. Love this Anne-Marie,very patriotic.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome!!! My DD loves all things British (we've been watching BGT on Youtube for hours on end!!) and she would love a card like this!! We went to Scotland last year, changed planes at Heathrow, saw a Cooper all covered in the flag, and she took many pics!!! Thanks for the lesson... I'll be calling the flag by the right name now! :)
    I live in the US, but I am Canadian, so I'm really hoping I can watch the Jubilee celebrations online!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your patriotic card, the mini is such a perfect image and I love your bunting. Thanks so much for joining in the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful card, as always. He will have to save this card for ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really fab, patriotic card. I would love one of those minis, with the flag on the roof, for zipping around town.
    :-)
    Thanks for joining us at Totally Papercrafts this week.
    Caroline xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. hehe saw one of those cute cars when I was in London in March - and a lot of the taxis are covered in the flag pattern already....guess they are all geared up for the events

    ReplyDelete
  7. A stunning card, perfect for this weeks theme and very patriotic
    Thank you so much for entering our challenge at ALLSORTS this week, good luck & hope you’ll join us again!

    Hugz Fleur xXx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your card is fabulous, sis!!! I adore the special details you come up with like the 9 on the car. They add so much to your cards. I love the paper you used. I'm so glad you did the proper thing and bought the matching embellishments. :)

    I'd like to be there for the Diamond Jubilee. My daughter and I have enjoyed reading about the preparation for it. Happy Wednesday hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful card.. Thanks for sharing it with us at The Paper Shelter this week.. Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. So fabulous and perfectly masculine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your patriotic card Anne-Marie, sure to be a hit with your grandson! The details and design are fantastic especially the bunting and buttons.
    Thanks for entering our Boy/Man card challenge this week over at Allsorts and good luck!
    Hugs Nicola xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. great card!! so patriotic!

    cheers!
    kelli

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a marvelous card! I have to agree, that you do have a lovely flag (especially the colors-tee!hee!) and those buttons are fantastic!! My youngest DD is a HUGE Cooper fan and has already put in her request for one when she turns 16 (only 6 years to go...). Of course, she didn't like our idea of saving her money so she could buy her own!
    Hope you enjoy all of your nation's celebrations this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is wonderful Anne-Marie, I love all this patriotic stuff (I need some!).
    Hope your having a great weekend :)
    Hugs
    Tracey
    xx

    ReplyDelete